Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Little More Homework

OK, I’ll admit it.  I get teary-eyed every darn time I hear the teenage cast of 13 sing the song, “A Little More Homework.”

I’ve been looking in the back of the book for the answers
Hoping the bell wouldn’t chime
But I’m not ready to put down my pencil just yet
There are too many answers that I didn’t get
I need a little less pressure and a little more time

I am trying to follow

I am trying to lead
I am trying to learn what is true
I am trying to be what you want and I need
And we all have a little more homework to do


The song and the show have a lot to say about the pressures of being a teenager – a time that I wouldn’t want to return to, but I get to relive in a way, as the parent of two teenagers and one tween.

The talented cast of 13/photo by Tania Legvold
One of those teens, Sebastian, just turned 13 last month and is in the Northfield Arts Guild production, which runs for one more weekend.  He plays a brief role as a rabbi, and he plays a teen named Richie.  It’s been great fun to see him in this show, singing, dancing and making all kinds of costume changes (spoiler: he’s the one hitting the high note on “Bad Bad News,” and one of the geeks in the the “Being a Geek” song).
Sebastian, as a rabbi, before going onstage opening night.
Steve is not in the show (although he’s a great actor, playing a teenager might be a stretch), but he’s been toiling behind the scenes as the producer.  The show has been enthusiastically received, and I hope tickets sell out for the remaining four performances.

You don’t have to be a teen to appreciate the show’s messages about friendship, popularity and staying true to yourself.
Nana and Seb after Sunday’s performance.
I probably can’t say it better than the two appreciative fans who sent this message to the show’s director, Rachel Haider:

“... we raise our voices in shouts of praise for the delightful evening of humor and dramatic excellence.  And, the audience, young and old, got the message! ‘We still have a lot of homework to be done’ in our everyday relationships, in our acceptance of diverse cultural and religious roots, in cheering for and caring for each other.”

I plan to see the show one more time, on Saturday night.  And I’m going to do my homework and pack some Kleenex in my purse, so I’ll be ready.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, good to know I'll need to bring Kleenex. I'm looking forward to seeing the show.

    ReplyDelete