Sunday, June 20, 2010

There's Something Fishy About These Men

A question: What do my grandfather, my dad and my husband all have in common?

If you answered that they're all musical, that's certainly true.  But the less obvious answer I was going for was this: they all like(d) to fish.

Me fishing with my dad, William, off the dock on Lake Brophy near Alexandria

How can I possibly connect music and fishing?  If you don't know, then you haven't read a joke book lately. 

• How did the fish practice piano? With its scales, of course. 

•What do fish sing to each other?  Salmon-chanted evening.

•And then there's this classic: What's the difference between a fish and a piano?  You can't tuna fish.

My grandfather, Ronald Riggs

My grandfather, Ronald, was quite a punster, from what I understand.  It also appears that he was quite the fisherman.  He died when I was 10 months old, so I never got to hear any of his jokes, or go fishing with him.  I would have liked that. 

My dad, William Riggs, fishing at his grandparents' cabin on Grace Lake near Bemidji.

My dad has baited many a hook, for my brother and me, and now for his grandchildren.  He also has told many a joke.  His jokes often concern Ole and Lena, but he probably has some music and fish jokes, too.  He has taught me that patience is necessary in fishing and in jokes.  Wait for the slight tug on the line, and wait for the punchline.  It will be worth it.

My husband, Steve, on a fishing trip "up north" with his dad and brother-in-law.

Steve likes to fish, and he likes jokes.  Here's a special Father's Day joke just for you, Steve, as you count down the days until your summer 2010 fishing trip (it's less than a month away!):

Where are most fish found?  Between the head and the tail.

Finally, here's a joke for Sebastian, who is at Boy Scout camp this week (possibly fishing) and can't be home for our annual Father's Day breakfast-in-bed tradition:

What is dry on the outside, filled with water and blows up buildings?  A fish tank!

Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there!

2 comments:

  1. My kids loved the jokes!

    Owen had a Name That Tuna Salad sandwich for lunch yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad Rose and Ryan enjoyed the jokes! Tell Owen thanks for choosing a sandwich then went with my blog post. That's going above and beyond the duties of a blog follower. :)

    ReplyDelete