Monday, March 22, 2010

A Concert No-Show

I feel like a bad parent.  Steve and I aren't attending Sebastian's orchestra concert tonight.  Instead, we are going to a reception and dinner honoring a wonderful gentleman named Olaf Millert, a professor emeritus of psychology at St. Olaf College who's originally from Estonia.

When we received the invitation and I discovered the conflict, I mentioned it to Sebastian.  I told him that I would skip the dinner and go to his concert if he wanted me there.  He said, "No, Mom, it's OK.  Olaf needs you more than I do."

So now I've made arrangements for him to get a ride to and from the all-district concert, which means all the orchestras from fourth grade through high school will be playing.  And I'm getting dressed for the big deal at the college president's house, up the road from our house.

The only other time I've been to a college president's house was when I was a student at Drake University.  I think it was my senior year, when I was editor-in-chief of the college newspaper, although it could have been my junior year.  My main memory of that occasion was being excited to eat fancy food that didn't come from the dining hall.

I am looking forward to a fun evening, and I'm grateful to have an understanding son.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like a bad parent too. Not only did I not make it to the concert to see my daughter, Rose. I told you I would be there to hug Sebastian after the concert for you. Ah well. We're not bad parents - we just have lives that get complicated. I think we are there for our kids so much at other times that they won't suffer too much from this one missed concert. I hope.

    ReplyDelete